Our vision is to be the world’s most renowned pattern designer and one of the most inspiring design brands. Marimekko’s strengths are the uniqueness and inherent interest of the brand, the diversity of the patterns, and the originality of the design idiom. The company has a long-term international growth strategy; its goal is to grow and succeed in the international arena as a Finnish design company that has a strong identity. In business development, there is a focus on controlled growth in Finland and selected export markets. The key markets are North America, Northern Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Marimekko’s skills as an expert in colours and patterns are accentuated more clearly as a factor of differentation.
- Increase Marimekko’s global visibility as an unique design brand.
- To boost the brand’s value through the long-term development of product, store and distribution concepts.
- To maintain strong market position in Finland.
- Increase international sales annually by over one fifth the previous year.
- The distribution network will be expanded in a controlled manner, primarily by increasing the number of concept stores and shop-in-shops.
- To maintain good solvency and liquidity in all market conditions.
Securing profitable growth
- Annual growth in consolidated net sales over 10%
- Operating profit margin 10%
- Return on equity (ROE) over 15%
- Equity ratio 50%
A steady dividend policy
- The intention is to pay a yearly dividend
- Percentage of earnings per share allocated to dividends at least 50%
The cornerstones of the strategy
- The brand is built to be more international and the profile is raised with the help of Marimekko’s unique and fascinating design.
- Marimekko’s skills as an expert in colours and patterns are accentuated more clearly as a factor of differentiation; high-quality and innovative design expertise is maintained and enhanced as a factor boosting competitiveness.
- More customer-driven and profitable product concept will be built.
- Growth is sought with new customer groups and with product innovations; the coordination of product lines and collections is improved; the share of in-house product design in the collections will be stepped up and it will be integrated better with Marimekko’s strong expertise in patterns; the number of accessories and small utensils in the ranges will be increased to enhance the profitability of the product concept.
- The distribution network will be developed and more profitable retail store and distribution concepts will be built.
- The brand’s competitiveness and attractiveness will be reinforced in the different distribution channels; the distribution network will be expanded in a controlled manner, primarily by increasing the number of concept stores and shop-in-shops; geographically, the focus is on areas in which the Marimekko brand is already known or where there is a natural demand.
- Operational efficiency will be improved along with systematic working and coordination in all business areas.
- A creative corporate culture that emphasises internal entrepreneurship is encouraged and the personel’s expertise is reinforced.